Saturday, October 1, 2011

Homespun day

Today I have enjoyed a quiet, homespun sort of a day so I thought I'd share a few vignettes about how I spent my time.  I had a balanced day with time for art, cooking, gardening and me.

Art
I started the day by finishing two mosaic coffee tables.  I tiled them a couple of weekends ago so only needed to grout today. This is the best grouting job I have done, I am improving. I like playing around with different colour schemes and patterns trying to fit the table rather than a preconceived plan. How did I do?

They are both recycled tables from my local tip, cleaned up painted and with a mosaic of my own design. They are both destined to be sold at a market as part of my DarlingBridget label.

I also spent a little bit of time working on some embroidery. These petals will become my first flower brooche in my art to wear range. 
Gardening
I got outside and got dirty planting some more flowers in my front garden.

My ranunculas are opening out. These are a new and delightful addition to my garden. I bought a mixed pack of bulbs so there will be many surprises as they open.

 
I have one last lone daffodil. I have never had this type before and was struck by its delicacy. It reminds me of a frangipani, my favourite flower which unfortunately does not grow here.

 
Cooking
Then lunch for one. 
The view from my kitchen while my lunch cooked.  My tree fern and giant waratahs.

I enjoyed organic penne with mushrooms, zucchini, sun dried tomotoes, walnuts and shaved romano.  A glass of prosecco rounded off the Italian theme.

I ate my lunch on my back verandah. Its overcast and cold but I spend too much time inside so ventured out to enjoy my lunch. My meals are usually rushed during the week so to make it special I chose a sweet little serviette and used my silver plate, hollow handled fish cutlery set.  I just have some this one set and am very fond of it. It belongs to a growing collection of mis-matched cutlery chosen for its decorative details or uniqueness.
All eaten. Yum

Homespun
I made  batch of soap which I haven't done for a few months.


Soap is easy and fun to make. I enjoy knowing exactly what's in my soap.  A lot of the "handmade soap" sold at markets is actually pre-made granulated soap that is melted down and molded. Mine is made from scratch from simple vegetable oil and lye.

I have coloured this batch with food colouring, in this case blue. It doesn't look it now but the colour will fade dramatically as the soap sets. For more information about my soap making click here for an earlier post.

I got all the washing done


but had to scramble to bring it in again when it started to rain.

Tapas and Doctor Who
Saturday night is Doctor Who night. I have been a huge fan since I was a child and Doctor Who was on for half an hour each week night. We don't watch TV otherwise, preferring DVDs to all those ads. So when we do sit down in front of the box an easy dinner is called on.



Tonight we are having tapas. Chunky potato, zucchini and cauliflower fitters and mushroom arancini (risotto) balls with boccocini. Yummo!

Me
And I squeezed in time for a steamy bath.


All in all a productive but relaxing day with a little bit of everything that makes for home spun bliss.
Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...